What’s a critical component to consider in the early stages of venture capital investing? People. And people are particularly important when a business is starting — when founders need to bring a big, bold idea to market.

That’s why for serial investor Joe Tonnos, 75 percent of early-stage investment is the founders an investor is backing. The remaining 25 percent is the product, market, and everything else. Joe is the Co-Founder and Managing Partner of Ketch Ventures, an investment firm that partners with disruptive, early-stage entrepreneurs and management teams to add value and grow consumer-facing businesses to the next level. 

On my podcast, The Irresistible Factor, Joe shares his more-than-a-decade’s worth of experience investing in and advising companies across a number of different sectors. 

Joe outlines what early-stage investors like Ketch are looking for, highlights some of the defining characteristics of great founders. He also shares his advice for entrepreneurs: “It’s having the vision, it’s being prepared to explain it, and making an investor understand what makes [your business] compelling and how it’s going to benefit them.”

Listen to The Irresistible Factor’s Interview with Ketch Ventures Co-Founder and Managing Partner, Joe Tonnos.

 

Here’s what you won’t want to miss from our conversation: 

  • Ketch Ventures’ investment goals
  • What compelling brands Ketch has partnered with, like UrbanStems and Los Sundays Tequila
  • The defining characteristics of a great founder, including vision, resilience and pragmatism
  • The impact of margin compression, supply chain issues and more

 

Links mentioned in this episode: 

Joe Tonnas on LinkedIn

Ketch Ventures

UrbanStems

Los Sundays Tequila